Writing with Influence
Start (8:30 am) - Start and end times can be adjusted as needed.
- Introduction – Why effective writing is critical to success in your role.
- The goal – clear, concise, compelling communication.
- What your readers need from you – understanding diverse thinking preferences.
- How to define your purpose before you write.
- EXERCISE: Develop a Communication Plan to guide your approach.
Break (10:00 - 10:15 am)
- Why you must get to the point quickly when you write.
- The ideal structure for emails, reports, letters, proposals and online content.
- How to consistently secure commitment from key stakeholders.
- EXERCISE: Use the Communication Outline to develop effective document structure.
Lunch (12:00 - 1:00 pm)
- The impact of your words – using language appropriately and efficiently.
- Writing techniques to increase reader engagement.
- EXERCISE: Sample document review and group feedback.
Break (2:30 - 2:45 pm)
- Making it personal – developing a distinctive, persuasive writing style.
- The importance of tone when communicating with your audience.
- EXERCISE: Writing sample and detailed individual feedback.
- Learning summary.
- Accessing additional learning resources.
Close (4:00 pm)